• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

Specter of Death

Omnipresent Moderator
    Staff member
    Her breathing was calm. Controlled. Her mind was anticipating any attack that could come next. Her eyes following the steps of the large beast, as it circled her. No fear showed in her actions or body. She was low to the ground, crouched and moving in unison with the creature. Her face still unknown to him, shrouded by shadow. But it was like he wasn't there, like he was only observing.

The wolf circled her hungrily, snarling and drooling with the anticipation of fresh meat. Like he had been starved for weeks. She wasn't wavering like most would, not struggling with the fear that the average person would have. It was like this wasn't real to her, though it was more real that even he could imagine.

Then the wolf stopped, like it had always done. It had stopped pacing around the woman, and stood up straight from it's low crouch. It's snarling face turned calm and gentle, and it's eyes moved until they were settled on him. It only stared, and sat motionless. Then even she became unknown to his senses. She was gone from where she was, gone in the darkness that had now occupied his mind.

His ears were then filled with the howl of the wolf. It's body remained still and and calm, as the howl left it's mouth. Then he could feel himself again. He could feel the warm air that had heated his camp. And as he awoke, the echoes of the wolf's lonely howl still ringing in his ears. And he sat forward on his bed roll, staring into the dark forest, with only the soft sounds of burning wood to accompany him.

Lyron had been alone for as long as he can remember, or at least since he had set off to be. This dream that had visited him every moment he could actually find sleep, had become the only company that he could ever find. Even if he couldn't decipher exactly who this woman was, she was the only human contact that he had in weeks, months even.

The cold of the Wrothgarian Mountains had kept him overall undetected by the man he had been hunting. His group of assorted mercenaries were to ignorant of the wilderness and hadn't ever bothered to search farther than a mile or to from their camp. This only made it easier for Lyron to follow their every movement.

Now, Lyron had enough information on this man's leader, that he could finally end him. The man said that the leader was somewhere in Cyrodiil, most likely with the Dominion's navy. It wouldn't be the easiest trip from the altitude that Lyron as at amidst High Rock. But it was a trip that he would have to make.

-~~8~~-
    He watched from above with unyielding attention. He didn't take his eyes off of the man below him. Lyron tightened his grip on the hilts of his swords. This was the only chance that he would have to get rid of the man before moving on. The thought of getting revenge started to fill his mind. Adrenaline made his heart pump hard and fast. Lyron pulled his bow from his back, and notched an arrow, and fired it into the man's leg. Then fired repeatedly at the men around him, who foolishly started to stagger and yell.​
    Their screams for mercy filled the forest, but were cut off as Lyron unleashed his last arrow. All that was left was the shivering of the man that he had patiently waited to eliminate. Lyron dropped from his perch, and landed at the feet of the fallen man. He pulled the dark hood from his head to reveal his scarred and burned face. He could hear the man gasp quietly beneath the cover of his mask. Lyron crouched at the side of the man, and pulled the mask from his head, to reveal his face.​
    A shiver of anger and pain ran down Lyron's spine as he saw the man's face. He was there the night that changed him. "Ya," the man spoke in a shutter, "you know my face, boy." Lyron stood, and turned from the man, trying to control the anger that was starting to consume him once again. "I was there," He continued, "I was there the day we spilled the blood of that wolf bitch all over the floor."
    The man started to stand on his wounded leg, as he spoke at Lyron. "I can't believe that someone can love a disgusting creature like that." Lyron turned, his teeth grinding, trying to control the rage that was building within him, "Quiet your voice, pig!" He warned, pacing in front of the man.​
    "She was an ugly little whore, wasn't she?" the man taunted once more, "I'm just glad I got to see her suffer!" Lyron turned to the man, shaking in fear. Thoughts of darkness shuttering through him, and his rage taking over. A yell left Lyron's mouth, at the man, as Lyron drew his swords.​
    The moans of terror came from the man, who's blood pooled on the forest floor around him. The man knelt in shock, as his arms fell helplessly to the ground below. Lyron kicked the man in the chest, with another shout. "I want you to bleed like she did!" He shouted at the man, "I want you all to suffer the way that I have!"
    Flashes of blood, and pain filled Lyron's mind. He saw this man's face grinning, as he watched Amallae's blood pour on the floor. Lyron felt the pain that he saw that day once again, the pain that he had felt when his love's insides were pulled from her body in front of him, while he couldn't do anything to help. He could here the laughing that all the men let out as her body hit the bloody floor. Lyron could feel the pain in his throat that he had felt when he screamed in grief. This pain only fueled his rage more, and urged him to end the man.​
    The man's body started to shutter as he reached the brink of death. Lyron stood over him, and watched as he bled. Lyron thrust his arm through the man's neck, removing his head from his body, and Lyron's anger fled from his body. All while his conscious returned to him. The man laid dead beneath his feet. Lyron felt a feeling of fear once again, a feeling that he had gotten after every kill. It was a feeling that he had learned to brush away, and move passed. Only because his mind was already filled to the brink with thoughts of anger and relentless grief.​

Valin Oakthorn

Vagabond Extraordinaire
    It's cold out. The snow falls quietly down from the sky on a seemingly ordinary night in Bruma. The streets are almost empty, as people sleep cozy inside their houses. It's perfect.

Cogan Marrow, a young bosmer-dunmer crossbreed stalks the streets. His face is still his eyes lurking for someone. It was only a few months ago that he left. He didn't want to, it was everything he ever knew, but at the same time, how could he stay? Every moment he could feel that knife plunging into his stomach, and see the look in her eyes. She never loved him.

His leather clothes would hardly keep the average person warm, but he wasn't your average person. As he glanced down an alley he saw an old beggar nestled next a small fire, and a slight grin appeared on Cogan's face.

"Hey there!" Cogan called as he approached the man, waking him from his sleep. "Mind if I barrow your fire?" Cogan said, all ready sitting down and getting comfortable. The man seemed both surprised and confused at this interruption to his slumber. Cogan pulled a small, half drank, ale bottle out of his pack. "Uhh, hi?" The beggar said, rubbing his eyes as he became fully conscious. "Hey." Cogan replied. "I have a little issue I need your help with." Cogan said as he measured the distance between the two, just a little less than arms length. The man was sitting up now, staring oddly at the stranger. "Um, I suppose, what is it?" The beggar said. "Okay, well here's the thing." Cogan started. "You see, I'm a werewolf, and I need to rip out your heart and well... eat it." Cogan said, a slight grin on his face, obviously amused.

The man became fightened and scooted backwards, only to find his back against a wall, cornered. "I... I.. please don't-" "Shhh, Shh, Sh. It's alright, it will be over before you know it. The truth is, I only do this for the better of the community I'm in." Cogan explained. "What... What do you mean?" The man glanced at the alley exit, and received a threatening look from Cogan. "Okay, look at it like this. Is it better for a large wolf to run around, kill five people, ruin some families lives, and scare the hole city. Or for someone to discretely kill a single person, with nothing to live for and has no one that will mourn their death." The young werewolf said, his eyes saddening a bit. "I have a family!" "Obviously not one that cares about you." The man went silent.

There was a long while of complete silence as the man waited for death, and Cogan stared off into the night. He took another drink. "Man, this ale is terrible." His said, looking at the bottle, then glancing at the beggar. Cogan shrugged, and tossed the rest of his drink into the fire, dousing it, leaving the two in complete darkness, and from that darkness came the screams of an old man, and not a single person even came from their house at the noise.

CapObvious

A Rotten Scroungeral
    "Run, young one. Run. And when you think you have run far enough. Run another three miles. I'm not sure if they will follow you. But I'll be damned if I let them catch you. Now Go! GO!"

Do'Vassal's final words burned through the girl's mind as her sore feet pounded the rough ground. She had been running for hours. At least, she thought she had. The adrenaline coursing through her veins kept her grasp of time away.

Either way, still not far enough.

She continued her sprint, trying her hardest to ignore the searing pain that the stone covered ground inflicted on her feet through her torn and tattered boots.

Eventually however, the pain became too much, and she fell to the ground; her breathing ragged, her body worn, her heart racing.

Her pale silver eyes roamed the land before her, looking for something like a...

Her eyes then set upon an upward standing stone, tall enough to hide her from eyes coming that way, and straight enough to lay her back against so she could take a breather. She scrambled slowly toward the stone, and with a relieved sigh, laid her back against the cold stone.

Her eyes shut almost immediately and she somehow, despite the danger, fell asleep.

---​
    Her unexpected but much needed nap was interrupted by a small sound.

The young cleric's ears perked, listening for the sound to come again. But there wasn't a sound to be heard. The girl almost let down her guard, until the sound of a sharp blade hitting the stone came from just above her head.

Her eyes darted open and she screamed at the top of her lungs. The blade came down toward her again, but this time, she rolled away, once again from the rush of adrenaline. The poor girl was much to tired to do it otherwise.

She turned to face the owner of the blade, who looked at her rather smugly. He lowered his blade, and started eyeing the girl up.

"Well now. 'Ere I was 'bout to waste ya. But that 'ooks like it would be a might waste, don't ya think?"

The two of them began to circle around each other, their eyes focused on the other's. The smug never left the man's face, but the girl didn't care. She just wanted him to miss his chance so she could start running again.

Her ears started to hear more scuffling, and her fears started to compound.

He wasn't alone.

He noticed her realization and smiled. "That's right girl. You ain't goin' nowhere. But don't worry. I won't share ya."

He shook his head and licked his lips. "Nope. You're all mine."

-*-​

Hearing those words, her attention began to focus sharply. Her fearful demeanor changed. She stood up straight, her hands clenched, her heart calm. Her eyes were fierce, with a stare that could make a large sabre cat skin itself.

This man had no idea what he had just gotten himself into. The cursed trigger was flipped, and now this beast of a man was about to feel the burn.

The cleric stopped circling, and began to saunter toward the bastard. She batted her eyes and smiled at him, showing no signs of the swift death she was ready to deliver. The beast of a man let down his guard, strutting over to the girl, ready to inspect his prize more...thoroughly. "Atta girl."

The girl smiled again, but the smile slowly became more and more mischievous. The man saw this, and he started to question, but couldn't get it out in time. Somehow, while the girl had him distracted, she had claimed his weapon and sheathed the blade into his stomach, ready to rip it out and send his innards all over the ground beneath him.

She whispered in the man's ear, the smile still bright on her face.

"Looks like you should have went ahead and killed me, huh? Because now," She pulled out the blade and the telltale splatting sounds began to come from below. "You're the one who isn't going anywhere."

The man fell to his knees, then finally fell upon his face, and the world around the girl was still.

-*-​
    The girl's eyes went wide, as her vision ran across the bloody aftermath of what she had just done to the bandit. Her hand immediately came to her mouth, sure she was about to throw up from the smell of the man's blood and insides that wafted around her.​
    She heard the scuffling again, and her eyes immediately shifted toward that direction, and she started to sneak over, hoping to see what she was going to have to deal with to escape this nightmare.​
    She crouched and shuffled silently, hoping to catch a glimpse of the sound of what sounded like a group of men fighting.​
    When her eyes reached the sight, she found herself to be correct.​
    Two more bandits, who were similarly dressed in this ragged leather that the now deceased one was wearing, were circling this rather strangely dressed Imperial. The Imperial, whose face was stern and focused, kept his eye on one, while his ear perked for the other.​
    Finally, after another few moments of circling around, the one that was behind the Imperial swung his large axe, and the Imperial sidestepped.​
    The large axe fell to the ground hard, and wedged itself deep in the rough earth. The brute tried to tug it up, but soon found that he could not. He looked to his left just in time to catch the imperial steel of his opponent's blade coming straight for his throat.​
    The brute fell, leaving the Imperial in a one on one conflict with the last bandit. The last one took initiative, leaping upon the imperial and holding him down, using his larger size to his advantage so he could land the final blow.​
    However, the Imperial's hand began to glow with the orange glow of fire. The last brute was too focused on getting his blade, so he could cut the imperial apart.​
    Finally, the Imperial's flaming fist came flying toward the brute's unprotected head, and he fell to the ground, finally dead.​
    The imperial didn't get up right away. His breathing was ragged, much like the girl's was when she stopped running. She watched from behind the boulder, not sure if he were friendly, or just as dangerous as the brutes themselves.​
    She saw the Imperial start to rise, slowly but surely to his feet. He grabbed his blade, which had come dislodged when the brute jumped on top of him, and sheathed it before looking around himself.​
    Sure enough, his eyes caught the eyes of the girl behind the boulder, and he watched as they sort of stared at each other for a minute or so. The imperial did not speak, and neither did the girl. Finally, the girl stepped out from behind the boulder, and looked the man in the face more fully.​
    He was rather rough looking. His face dirty and rugged from what looked like days on the road. His armor was rather exposing, and she wasn't entirely sure if he had lost most of it or if it were meant to be that way.​
    The imperial eyed the rough looking cleric, and then after another moment of silence, he walked away. The girl called out for him.​
    "Wait!"
    The imperial stopped and looked to the girl again. The man didn't speak, however.
    The girl ran after him, and stopped as she reached him, surprising herself that she was willing to come this close to a total stranger. Especially a man.
    She looked to him and spoke again. "Do you mind if I..." She stopped short, shocked by her words. Was she REALLY going to ask this man if she could accompany him?
    The man was obviously capable of defending himself. Surely he could help her stay alive until she finds someone who can help her get back to find Do'Vassal.
    She cleared her throat, ready to try again. "Can I accompany you, at least until I find a town?"
    The Imperial's eyes studied the girl, but were clouded. His intentions were not obvious to the girl, and it worried her. However, instead of trying to attack her, the Imperial's eyes just returned to hers.
    "No."
    Did he just...
    He started to continue to walk to wherever he was originally going and the girl called out again.
    "Wait!"
    The Imperial spoke again, this time without turning around.
    "No. Go away."
    The girl stopped following him as he continued to walk away. She watched his figure slowly disappear over the hill, as she stood there, completely dumbfounded.
    He just left her there.
    This single fact surprised the cleric, as this was new to her.
    Usually she couldn't get the men she came into contact with away from her. Now, she finally needs one's help and he just...
    Leaves her there?
    She looked around, not sure where to go from here, but then came up with an idea. A stupid one, she would admit, but the luxury of choice was long gone. She started after the Imperial, hoping to follow him to the next town.
    He may not want to help her, but he was going to, whether he knew it or not.

Farthlion

I swear to drunk, I'm not Talos.
    The fire was bright and warm, a contrast to the dark and freezing cave that the small hunting group had gathered in. Haeda had found them here, conversing and sharing some rabbit stew. They were a friendly group of people who welcomed her and without asking made a space for the Nord to sit.

"You saw the marking on the cave, then?" one of the men inquired as he began to fill a wooden bowl with soup.

Haeda nodded. Markings were subtle changes hunters would make to the environment which would serve as a message to alert others of their nearby presence. Such a thing was especially important to be able to identify in a snowy climate such as Winterhold.

The man, whose bearded face was lit up by the flames, handed her the bowl. Haeda graciously thanked him as she accepted, setting the bowl down momentarily before hastily digging into the pouch of her satchel. She removed some fruit and a small pouch of berries, giving it to the man in exchange for his gift. Such was common courtesy among hunters. They were expected to give, and rule of thumb was to repay as soon as possible. You never knew when, or even if you would see each other again to repay it.

"I haven't seen fruit in months," he stated before taking the pouch and fruit. He dispersed Haeda's gift among the rest of his group.

One of the younger men grinned as he was tossed an apple, "Of course not. The only thing growing up here is snow!"

Another member of the group spoke up, this one a woman with long black hair, "What's your story, friend?"

Haeda thought back about the events that had recently taken place. It had been just over two weeks since she had departed from the small band of hunters that she had considered a family. She had grown up with them, struggled to survive with them, and thrived with them. Yet her decision to leave was absolute, the secret they had kept far too conflicting of their interests.

Realizing her temporary companions were now patiently awaiting an answer, Haeda swiftly strung together a decent lie, "I grew up a hunter with my parents. They passed away last year, so I'm on my own now."

"I'm sorry for your loss," the woman said sympathetically. The others nodded in agreement at this statement.

The bearded man was quick to lift the mood, grinning as he took out a bottle from the bag at his side, "I've been saving this for a special occasion. Black-Briar Mead always lifts spirits. Take a swig, everyone."

The young man grabbed the bottle before his elder could pass it, taking a large sip before handing it to the woman next to him. Haeda soon received the bottle, listening intently as the younger man began telling a story. She drank a small amount of the liquid before passing it on, enjoying the sensation of warmth and the company of others.

Valin Oakthorn

Vagabond Extraordinaire
    The music played the loudly in the inn that night. It had been a wonderful week for Cogan, and his recent kill gave him the fresh blood high that he was so accustomed too. The handsome young man danced about, his build along with his half breed exoticness had drawn women all the time, and tonight was no different. Two beautiful young girls were flirting with him as he danced about, drinking his mead. No women could fill the void in his heart, but he would never admit it. These women danced around him not because he wanted them too, but rather because he did not want to be alone.

By now he had several mugs of mead in his system and was fulfilling his life of the party role that he had loved to play back before he left his pack. There was something missing though, to the average eye no one would notice, but he wasn't the same life of the party child. Even at this moment the people he killed seemed to be ripping at his soul, it was not some wolf that killed them, but it was Cogan.

The man last night had been his fourteenth kill out of beast form, every kill had torn him from his old life and into this new one. Who knows how many it would take to dissolve his personality completely, but these thoughts did not bother Cogan. After all, thoughts like these never come into play until its too late, far too late.

For now, Cogan drank, danced, sang, cheered, and enjoyed himself. For now he didn't care, these fleeting moments were a sense of relief for him, a relief from what he was. They relaxed him, but with relaxation comes one fatal mistake.

He let his guard down.

It happened so fast. Maybe it was the alcohol, or the immense sounds in the building, but before he could morph his fangs he was gone, thrown onto a carriage and being taken away.
    ~`~`~`~`~`~`~​
    After a full day, and half of a nights carriage ride Cogan was being jerked around. This time his saw his assailants, silver armor. The silver hand. Cogan knew of these ones. They were a lycan hunting group that Valin had speant many a time with, and Valin had scars to prove it.​
    Before long he was in a cell, and he was gathering himself. It was more of a cage than a cell, a solid stone wall on one side and silver bars forming three others. he knew not to touch it. His flesh was freshly burned from the gauntlets of the men that grabbed him.​
    Cogan looked around. Most of the cages were empty, there was a large orc down the hall, and what appeared to be a breton next to him.​
    "Why, Hello there." The breton said, a sly smile across his face.

Specter of Death

Omnipresent Moderator
    Staff member
    Screams faded in and out of his ears as he returned to his mind. Warm blood coated his body, as he stood over the body of his recent kill. His blood stained the dirt around the camp, and the trees nearby. Lyron shivered in disgust and disappointment. He hated it when it got out of hand. He had never been able to keep control under the conditions of his torture. The thoughts that had haunted him all of these years have turned him into an animal that any sane being would learn to fear, and Lyron himself is no exception. The fear he feels for himself was almost as much a companion as the lonely woman in his dreams.

Lyron waded into the frigid river that flowed slowly nearby. The ice cooled water nipped at his skin, as he furiously scrubbed the blood from his body. He had never gotten used to the blood, even after all of the kills that he had completed. In the midst of the moment, he was another person, but when he came back to Nirn, he would almost feint at the sight of the crimson liquid. He hated the warmth it carried, and the scent that it released. It only reminded him of the monster he was, and having to deal with the beast on a constant basis was enough as is.

As the Specter finished his washing, he waded out of the water, with a shiver. He stood next to the fire, withstanding the scent of the blood, hoping to warm up. In the back of his mind, Lyron couldn't shake the thought of what he should do next. He knew that he wanted to reach this man within Cyrodiil, but he still had no definite location of where he was. Lyron needed more information, information that he knew wasn't going to be easy to discover.

He started to poke through the tents and bedrolls of the dead men. Pulling half empty bottles of mead from pockets in fabric, and several tomes from the miscellaneous packs scattered throughout the camp. Just as he started to give up, he came across what had to have been his targets bed. It was a more cozy looking cot, with a soft pillow laid on top. Lyron stuck his hand underneath the pillow, and pulled out a small opened letter. It was marked 'URGENT' on the seal, and the writing within was almost impossible to read.
    They almost caught me today. I may be the leader of this damned camp, but I'm leaving. I am going to return to the Embassy and carry out the rest of the order from their. Send your men to clean up this mess, and I'll make sure nobody hears of it. And it WILL be done by Morndas. - Justicar M. A.

This was likely to be Lyron's best option. They had been making plans with the Dominion, the Thalmor of High Rock. Whatever it was that they were planning, Lyron wasn't going to just let them get away with it, that is, without letting him know what away what it was that they were planning.

Lyron rushed from the tent, back into the cold of the High Rock frontier. He needed to find the Thalmor Embassy so that he could find this Justicar. However, Lyron wasn't all to familiar with the landscape, only some towns and cities. So that is where he needed to start. He took off on foot, headed east to the closest city of Cloud Spring. As his position on the mountain gradually became lower, the temperature of the air became warmer. The snow covered earth started to become wet and muddy, and before long, you could see the rich green of the forest grass.

-~~8~~-

Lyron pushed his way through the wooden door into the small in. A large fire heated the building at the center of the room. Racks of pork ribs, and beef biscuit roasting above, filling the housing with a beautiful aroma. Lyron sat at a table near the fire, and waited for a small woman to approach him.

"Can I get'cha somethin' sweety?" the woman asked. Lyron pulled his hood from his head and scarf from his face, and looked at the woman's kind face. She was older, and definitely worn from work. "I will take what ever you have on tap. And some of that biscuit," he spoke quietly, dropping a handful of gold into her hand. She nodded, and rushed over to the bar.

Lyron pulled out the letter, and read it over once again. He had a good point to start, but he hadn't any idea where he was to go from here, in order to find the Embassy. The woman returned to the table, setting a tankard and plate in front of him.

"Anythin' else dear?" she asked again, in a lazy sigh. Lyron turned to her, placing the letter back into his pack. "Actually yes," he spoke, noticing a light frown in the woman's face, "I need to find the Thalmor Embassy. Is it near here?"

The woman stared at him for a moment, as if she was wondering what his intentions were, but she calmly responded. "It's east'a town, nestled in th' hills, you can't miss it," she spoke smugly, turning back to her broom to sweep.

Lyron then turned to his plate, and started to eat the food that he had bought. Before long, a warmth in his stomach gave him a bit of ease. He felt relaxed, and tired, in need of a lot of rest. So that was what he was going to get. Lyron rented a room, only to pass out as soon as his head touched the pillow.

Valin Oakthorn

Vagabond Extraordinaire
    Cogan didn't know how to respond. It seemed to have happened in the blink of an eye. One moment he was partying in bruma, and in the next he was locked in this cage. A breton had just given him a friendly greeting like they were meeting at some sort of inn.

The breton was reclined against the wall. He had blonde hair, dark, almost like charred gold. He had a braid in his hair, done well, and recently.

"Where am I?" Cogan blurted out. He hadn't ever cared for hello's especially at a moment like this. "Somewhere in Skyrim, I think. The guards always got snow on their boots, and there's an odd amount of Nords wandering about." Edward replied, not even fazed by Cogan's panicked state. "Great." Cogan remarked, almost hypnotized by the relaxation of the Breton. "I'm Edward, and you are?" "Cogan" "Well Cogan, welcome to a little slice of Oblivion. Edward said.

This stunned Cogan a bit. How could a man remain so relaxed, even going so far as to do his hair in a place he thought of as Oblivion.

"What do you mean." Cogan asked, his panic returning to him. "Well, you've been captured by the Silver hand, just like I was. They keep us here, and every now and then this old wizard-type comes in and performs operations on us." Edward said, acting almost like he couldn't hear himself. Cogan's panic turned to fear. He sat down, leaning against the wall, mimicking Edward.

"Operations?" Cogan asked, staring off into space. "Yup, that wizard guy comes in a tears, off skin, cuts out pieces of flesh, chips bone, maybe even mess with your organs. He has this weird fetish for body parts." Edward said. Thrusting his arms out now and then in an attempt to catch a moth. "What?! Well... Well... Where are all your scars?" Cogan said, staring at Edward, his fear much larger now. "I was getting there. After your operation they'' toss in some poor sucker off of the street for you to eat. Turns out human hearts heal fresh injuries." Edward said.

Cogan was silent for a long while. Cogan had always known who he was killing in the past. Whether a familyless beggar, or some crime lord, the kill always seemed to be a just thing to do. What if these people didn't deserve this fate, what if they had family. He couldn't just stop himself from feeding. "Yes, well I will just let that sink in. It's a terrible life in here, but you need to make the most of it. See you in the morning." Edward said, his mood from relaxed to serious. He rolled over as Cogan looked up to see the moon high in the sky through a skylight.

CapObvious

A Rotten Scroungeral
    Maere shadowed the Imperial for what seemed like ages. She had begun to question her judgement until she heard the telltale sounds of water, along with the loud chimes of dock bells.

We must be near Anvil, then. Gods, how far did I run?

Her attention then returned to the man she had been following, and she wondered.

Surely this man was on to her by now, wasn't he?

The man never turned to see her, but for some reason that alone wasn't enough to put her worries to rest. What would happen if the man did notice her following him?

Maere didn't want to think about it. Instead she decided to cut off from him once they entered Anvil proper.

Surely leaving him alone would ease his mind, right? That's what he had wanted in the first place.

---​

Finally the pair, though seperated by a good distance, made it through the city gates. As Maere had decided, She split off from him as soon as she stepped through. However, that was when the Imperial noticed.

He continued to walk on, but watched with the corner of his eye. The girl must have thought she was clever, using Daxos like that.

He had to admit. She was.

Daxos wanted to continue, except when he saw what waited for the girl on her path. There were two women, both standing on either side of the path, watching Maere intently.

He immediately recognized them, and stopped in his tracks. Daxos had a pretty nasty run in with those women. The exact details were...rather embarrassing.

What if this girl was their next target? Surely she was not as strong as himself, at least enough to take on two at once.

Daxos, not truly knowing what to do in this situation, ran over to where she was and stopped next to her, which caused Maere to nearly die of fright.

"What are you doing!?" She shouted. Daxos hushed her, looking back to the women.

The women seemed to recognize Daxos, but didn't seem to be deterred from their mark. However, as they watched, Daxos' left hand started to light up, and the women swallowed. They then looked to each other, and both of them made a look to each other that signaled that Daxos and Maere were off the hook for now.

Daxos sighed heavily, then pointed to the inn. "Here." Maere stared at him, unsure of his motives, but he shook his head, as he caught on.

"No...not that. I just want...To talk." Daxos got out, and Maere's ears caught on to his strange way of talking. It was like he just couldn't get out the right words, and when he did, had to taste them as he said them.

Not that he was trying to lie, just that he was trying to talk at all.

Daxos, not sure if she was going to run or what, put his hand on his chest and added this: "On...My honor."

Maere noticed it again, but this time, didn't linger on it. She looked back behind her, noticing the two women that had eyed her up disappeared. Surely the danger was gone, but...There was something about this imperial that she trusted. It wasn't like any feeling she had before, except with Do'Vassal. Like she would be safe.

She then turned to Daxos and nodded.

She would go with him.

Valin Oakthorn

Vagabond Extraordinaire
    Cogan didn't realize he had fallen asleep. He had stayed up most of the night thinking about what Edward had told him yesterday. Could this wizard guy really be operating on them, would Cogan be operated on, could he fight back? But slowly he had drifted to sleep, and found himself in a place he hadn't been for nearly a year. Home.

In his dreams he had returned to the safety of Valenwood. He had found comfort again in the strength of the pack that had raised him. Tonight the welcomed him back with open arms, but it had not always been that way in his dreams. Some nights the pack rejected him. He had left them without hardly saying goodbye. So what if he had gone through a heartbreak? Did Cogan really think that was so bad? Valin had been tortured and left to die by his own brother, Alrix had been sold by his parents to be a slave, and hell, Valin has died before! How could Cogan just leave the pack over a girl.

Tonights dream, however, was interrupted by the hushed whisper of Edward. Edward's calm demeanor was gone, and almost panicked. "Hey Cogan! Wake up! It's the wizard!" Edward said. Edward didn't have many fears these days, but the wizard was the thing that haunted his nightmares.

The wizard had woken Cogan up completely. He heard footsteps down the hall, and before long a man stood before him, in scholars clothes. The wizard didn't look like Cogan had imagined him to though. He wasn't old with a crooked nose and wrinkles. In fact, he would seem almost propper and kind had it not been for his devilish smile and eyes so dark brown they appeared black.

His smile had disappeared though at the sight of Cogan. "By the god's! An Oakthorn!" The wizard said, almost losing his balance at the sight. "What do you mean, sir?" A armored guard said to the wizard. Meanwhile Edward had a look of confusion at both the wizard and Cogan, but his aura of fear still was there. "Look at him! A bosmer-dunmer crossbreed no doubt, and not just any bosmer. See those emerald green eyes? He's a descendant of Valin Oakthorn!" The wizard explained. Cogan was now starting to worry. This man knew his grandfather? Valin didn't talk much about the time before he formed the pack. In fact, he was secretive about a lot of things that happened up to the birth of his grandchildren. He'd heard some stories, but only from his mother, who had heard them from Cylnia. "Who?" The guard replied. "Valin Oakthorn. I have far too little time to tell you about him, but know that simply by having this boy we endanger our whole operation. However, his genes are worth it." The wizard said, beginning to open up Cogan's cage.

Cogan prepared himself, he would deliver his claws into the man's neck and then run the opposite direction of the silver clad man. A part of him wanted to help Edward. Cogan looked over to Edward, who's mouth hung slightly open. He looked at Cogan with utter confusion. He obviously didn't know what was going on.

The door clinked open and Cogan charged, his claws out. The wizard didn't even flinch and Cogan was suddenly on the ground, spazzing uncontrollable. Electricity was coursing through his body ripping apart every ounce of energy he had. Edward rolled his eyes, almost amused by the event before him.

Cogan passed out, and the amusement in Edwards eyes left as his new friend was dragged off into a room down the hall. The way that Cogan would have ran.

CapObvious

A Rotten Scroungeral
    The sound of the lute and drum greeted the pair as the entered the inn, both of them noticing immediately how out of place they were.

The inn, or a least the bar, was flooded by dock workers or sailors. All of them chattering away of this and that, speaking of things that they dealt with every day.

Daxos pointed to a table and Maere went, nodding wordlessly as he walked up to the counter.

The bartender looked to him, wondering what it was he wanted. Daxos spoke, or at least tried.

"O-One ale...for me." He looked back to the girl and paused, not really sure what to get her. Then he looked back to the bartender and shrugged, but smiled falsely, wanting to appear friendly. "And some...dec..." Daxos paused, trying to think of the word he was looking for. Finally, it came to him. "Decent aged wine...for the...girl."

The Bartender looked as if he were trying not to notice Daxos' impedement, but was failing miserably. This guy had no people skills.

But Daxos didn't care. He was used to it.

He grabbed the bottles and laid his gold on the bar, heading back to the table where Maere sat. She had her eyes glued to the table, trying not to draw attention to herself.

Daxos chuckled, once again trying his hardest to behave like something more than a kill-starved mongrel. Like he had been for most of his life.

"You'll only g-get more attention that way. Might...as well just...behave naturally." Maere's eyes didn't move, and Daxos' calm smile faded. "Believe me. No one is going to...to get you here. Anvil is home." He gestured to himself. "They know that if...someone is w-with me...they are under my protection."

Maere looked up, her eyes studying his, and deciding that his words, as broken as they were, were sincere.

With a small smile, he pushed the wine to her, and uncorked the ale. "Much better."

Maere smiled at how genuine he was. Something about just how he acted, compared to how he spoke. She felt like he was rather strange, and yet, still trustworthy.

She uncorked the wine and, took a small sip. Her face wrinkled and Daxos laughed. "Must...be good."

Maere shook her head, but smiled again.

This man was so much like Do'Vassal it hurt.

And it made her feel so much better.

Valin Oakthorn

Vagabond Extraordinaire
    Edward was completely and utterly confused. For years now he had gone through the same routine. Each day he would wake up and train himself, building muscle and trying desperately to think of a plan. His mind had been consumed with thoughts of escaping, of seeking revenge on the person that had stolen his life from him. He would dream of returning to his old ways of thievery. Before all this he lived a life of adrenaline and dare devilish acts. He and a few others from the thieves guild would spend their time climbing buildings, flirting with women, they even once stole the weapons from a new guard and laughed as he chased them throughout the waterfront.

Those days are over now though. Only one thing matters. Getting out.

Edward and been somewhat amused when Cogan tried to get out through sheer force. Long ago Edward gave up on that idea. Especially so once the wizard started electrocuting his specimen once they had finished their meal and were all healed up. It robbed him of all his energy, making it more difficult to work out, or even think of a plan.

Though, it seemed that there was a way out, placed in the cell next to him. The wizard said that the new guy, Cogan, was some sort of descendant of a great werewolf. However this new guy was about to undergo his operation, and probably wouldn't be in the mood to talk.

***​
    Cogan awoke for the second time that day in a much different situation. He lie on a cold metal table. The man that Cogan had come to know only as the wizard was standing next to him, needle in hand. "Ah, you're awake. Good." The man said, his dark eyes staring intently at the needle as he squirted a slight amount of the product inside out, which then dripped down his white gloves that he had adorned.
    Everything was hazy, but Cogan woke right up when he felt a terrible pain in his neck. He went to reach up at it, but soon found his hands bound to the table. He only managed to let out an odd sounding growl. "Shh, Shh, Shh. It's diluted silver. Won't kill ya' but boy will it feel like it's gonna'." The man said, a cruel smile across his face. It felt like the blood in his body was set ablaze. Every breath felt like inhaling razorblades. "Now what shall we take from you? Hmmm?" The wizard said. Cogan tried to bring out his fangs, but failed, he couldn't even speak. "I see you don't have one of those odd tattoo like Valin. I wonder, just how are you related to him?" The wizard said. How did he know so much about Valin. Could it be that Valin was once in a situation similar to this? He had to reply, he couldn't let this man win. He couldn't appear weak. He managed a muffled "fluff you!" but Cogan doubted the wizard understood him. However, the wizard's expression certainly changed quite a bit, he stared at Cogan with his almost black eyes screaming profanities of hate at Cogan.
    In a moment the wizard had a knife in Cogan's mouth. Cogan wanted nothing more than to bite off this man's hand but he knew that wouldn't work. "Oh! So you want it to be your tongue, huh?!" Cogan didn't dare move, he could only scowl at the man, who was now holding Cogan's jaw open.
    It all went so fast. It was all one large blur as the wizard cut out a wedge of Cogan's tongue, forking it. Cogan had screamed to which the wizard had replied with mad laughter. The pain was too much, he couldn't take it. Everything was black, and the pain was gone. Yet again Cogan passed out, the word's "A snake tongue for your snake words!" ringing in his ears.

Specter of Death

Omnipresent Moderator
    Staff member
    Another shiver ran up Lyron’s spine. He couldn’t understand why this was haunting him for so long. The woman and the wolf. Pacing around each-other, like a game of cat and mouse. The repetition would drive normal people insane. Every time he fell into sleep, he would see it, over and over. She crouched like she was hunting, and then in a blink of an eye, she was gone. Leaving the wolf to deafen Lyron into waking. It had been something that he had become accustom to, but the past couple of weeks have made the dream progressively stronger and more vivid.

He started to put on his gear in order to head where the woman had told him to go. He needed to find this Justicar, and get any information he had, out of him. Justicar M. A., ran through his head multiple times, not letting him forget the task at hand.

-~~8~~-

A sense of urgency had set in as soon as he had left the inn. Lyron had already ran at least a mile, and was perched on a rock where he had a view of the embassy. The woman hadn’t lied to him about it’s location. Her description of the area was almost spot on. A thick wall of trees surrounded the encampment, and was almost invisible if not for his positioning.

It was almost noon, or at least that is what he had guessed. He could only make out a thought on time when the sun peeked it’s way through the clouds. It was breezy, and not much activity was taking place within the embassy. Lyron wouldn’t enter it’s boundaries until nightfall, but part of preparing for the breach; would be surveying for entrances, guard routes, and weaknesses. In the hour or two that he had been here, Lyron hadn’t seen much. A few guards, standing at different watch points, then switching with others. Nothing he couldn’t get past.

The Embassy was a compound of buildings and other things, filled with troops and guards. A wall surrounded the structures withing, with only a Northern and Southern exit. A large building, sat centered in the compound, most likely holding lodging for the Thalmor, as well as a food hall and kitchen. 2 tower like structures sat in the North-West and South East corners of the compounds, tall enough to see below the tree line, but not into the canopy. A stable and an armory also sit within the compound, both along the West well, on either side of the center building. With this information in mind, all Lyron had to do was to figure a way in.

Lyron took another hour or two to develop a plan in order to enter the embassy. He was going to enter on the east wall, using the trees as cover, and take out anybody who may see him. Then, all he had to do was get into the center building and find whoever Justicar M. A. was. Needless to say, his plan was much easier said, than done.

Before Lyron could leave, he needed to make out exactly who his target was. The sun had already been setting, but he hadn’t seen anybody that looked like the sort to lead. The odds are that he or she would be the only Talos hunter within the Embassy at the moment, and he could even be 2nd or 3rd Emissary to the Ambassador of the province, due to his allegiance to the enemy. The trouble was identifying him. Lyron could only assume that he would be taking refuge in the most defended room within the center building, but assumptions could get him killed.

After weighing his options of risking not finding the Justicar, and getting no information at all, Lyron jumped to his feet. He wasn’t sure what feeling had filled his stomach at the time; something between nervousness and excitement. On one hand, he had always enjoyed a good infiltration, but on the other, he wasn’t sure what he would to do if he was caught.

He made his way down towards the trees, and sat himself on a branch high enough to look over the wall, and close enough for him to jump over. He had his bow in hand, with an arrow drawn, as he scanned, watching carefully for any Troopers or Guards. The two who Lyron had learned to pass this corner, were together near the south entrance, speaking to each other. He took the moment to leap over the wall, and work his way up onto the south eastern structure.

He kept low and silent, as he watched the single guard move from his position in front of the Center Building’s door. Lyron dropped from the his roof-top positioning, and worked his way to the door. He opened it and slid in, crouched, hoping nobody stood on the other side. The entry way was empty, with a lit fire in the fireplace across the way. The smell of cooking beef filled the entire building, a meal being prepared deeper in the building. The chatter at the end of the hallway suggested that the building’s patrolling guards were on break, it could mean that the Justicar was with them as well, but then what was the source of the movement upstairs?

He turned his focus to the noises of rambling and pacing in the floor above. It could be the Mer that he was looking for, so he made his way to the steps, and silently made his way up them, one by one. He checked the hallway at the end of the stairs, and saw that no guards held position in front of the center door. His previous guess was correct, the guards were off duty. Lyron worked his way along the wall, and listened to the noises coming from behind the door. The mer sounded quite panicked, and seemed to be in a trance of sorts. He mumbled, and the loudness of his voice fluctuated. More than enough reason to assume that he was contemplating something serious.

Lyron carefully released the door from its frame, and waited to move in. The mer didn’t remove himself from his pacing and bantering, so Lyron decided it was a good time to enter. He slowly crept into the room, and watched as the mer walked back and forth, muttering incoherent words under his breath. Lyron felt an irritation, as none of the suspected information that he was speaking was understandable by his ear. Lyron stood, with his string pulled tight, and he kicked the door shut. The mer turned his attention to the doorway, and more importantly Lyron. He stopped his pacing, and his yammering stopped.

“Who are you?” the Altmer spoke, with a sense of hesitation and curiosity. The Mer stood up straight, blowing the golden hair out of his eye, and crossing his arms, almost wishing for a quicker response.

Lyron didn’t budge as the question left the Mer’s mouth. He kept a straight face, wondering why this Altmer didn’t budge underneath the risk of an arrow sighted to his head.

“Definitely good under pressure,” Lyron spoke to himself, “You must be him.” As the Altmer’s face started to move in response to Lyron’s comment, Lyron released an arrow into the Achilles tendon of the his target’s left leg. Lyron didn’t allow the Mer to release a cry of pain, as he rushed over to his tumbling body, and stuffed a piece of cloth in his mouth. He sat the Mer up on his knees, and pulled the letter out of his pack, tossing it to the floor in front of the Altmer.

“I want to know everything that you know, about them.” Lyron paced around the man, as he tremored in pain and fear, his eyes screaming. Lyron’s blood started to boil, and his heart rate increased, the thoughts of insanity and blood lust started to fill his person. An eerie grin crept across his face as he pulled the hood from his head and cowl from his face. He knelt down to get face to face with the mer, who’s shivering suggested intense amounts of fear. “You know who I am, don’t you?”

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
    Staff member
    The world seemed to be moving. Ferris was at that point of half consciousness where he wasn't quite awake, but still vaguely aware of what was going on around him. He could hear conversation, horses, and the rock of a wagon. He groaned, and opened his eyes suddenly, stumbling out of a terrible nightmare. That was a mistake. The sun was directly above, and nearly blinded him. He closed them shut again, and sat up abruptly, going straight for his weapons (he did not find them or his sheathes in their rightful place at his waist). He heard a few startled yelps as he scared a few of his fellow passengers. He didn't care. Served them right. But he regretted the scare more than they did. He was sore all over. But, being a seasoned campaigner, he was used to it.

After his eyes had recovered, Ferris opened them gingerly, and surveyed his surroundings. He was still a bit unsure of his vision, and had to shade his eyes even as he searched for his weapons, finding them close at hand, and even more so when he looked around at the landscape around him. It definitely wasn't Black Marsh, though the area still had that lingering sub-tropical feel to it. He deduced that he was probably in Cyrodiil. Satisfied with his natural sense of direction, he figured they were headed toward one of the rivers. As to why, this wagon was not meant to carry prisoners. It was meant to carry goods. Two argonians sat up front, directing the horses, while four more sat in the back, among the goods, with Ferris. It was a small, one wagon trade caravan. His companions in the back had gotten over their initial surprise and went back to watching the countryside roll by.

Ferris slumped back down, hands over his face, trying to recall how he'd come to be here. It was all a haze. "Glad to see you awake." The one of the drivers stated, noting Ferris's frustrated glance in return. "What? You didn't think we'd just leave you there, did you?" Ferris continued to glare, his lack of comprehension evident. "Don't tell me you don't remember me. You've done some good work for our little caravan before, saved our hides more times than we can count. Helped us build quite the small fortune. So naturally, we felt obligated to return the favor and save you from all your foolish attempts at getting into the swamps of Argonia. You seem to have quite the death wish, friend. We almost weren't able to pull you out this time."

Pull me out? Of what? Ferris thought to himself. Then he looked down at himself. He was a mess. It was clear they had done their best to clean and patch up his armour and weapons, but they still reeked of the swamps. He didn't smell to good himself. He didn't look too good either. He had bandages everywhere, some on his arms, wrapped around his torso, and wrapped around his legs. He even had one wrapped around his head. The memories finally came back to him, making him wince. He'd been trying to die. Charging into the swamps, picking a fight with any creature or plant that dared answer his challenge. He almost succeeded a few times in attaining his wish for death. But, each time, something stopped him. Gave him the will to pull himself out. When he looked death in the face, he would always think of her, as was his brand and curse. There were also his friends who ever so helpfully dragged him out each time. He would never thank them for it, of course. He let on that he resented them with every fiber of his being. But, it was no use. They were annoyingly irrepressible, and knew his ways too well. He'd long since given up yelling at them, and they'd been around him too long to fear physical retribution. "You should've let me die, bastards." Those bastards had names which Ferris now remembered.

Reekaza Theerclesh was the driver who sat up front along with his wife, Maratan. Alexwul and Deeinei were their sons, who sat in back along with Ferris and their twin sisters, Onaseeva and Onassha. They had more or less adopted Ferris, much to his horror. It was the price he would have to pay for working for free.

The argonians simply smiled toothfully in return to his insult. The driver laughed, "It's for your own good. We won't let you die in our swamps. If you're going to kill yourself, do it on the other side of Cyrodiil, far away from Argonia." Ferris snorted derisively. It made no difference to him where. He had no purpose. He had failed, and the bitter taste of it lingered in his mouth, and every old scar teased him with ghost pains. An epitaph to all his failures. Suddenly the driver became more serious. "Promise that you will at least try to live first." Ferris let him know exactly what he thought of him. It wasn't a very kind thing to say to someone who'd just pulled you away from the jaws of death and nursed you back to health. The argonian simply laughed again, and added, "Find that woman you always mumble about in your sleep! Maybe she can talk some sense into you!" Ferris tried to rise to tackle the argonian to the ground, but his body betrayed him, and he simply collapsed again from the effort. After some more laughter from all aboard (excepting Ferris), the driver again spoke up. "Don't worry, it will be a long journey for you before we set you loose upon the world. Your going to assist us in setting up a shop somewhere here in Cyrodiil, and once we're done, we'll sail you up Niben and drop you off on the other side of the Imperial City." Ferris covered his eyes and groaned again, trying to find comfort and solitude in sleep as his companions continued to antagonize him. He swore he was going to break their hands if they tried tickling him again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many months later...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They'd ended up in Leyawiin. A fortified coastal city that guarded passage up the river Niben. It's climate suited the Argonians, and Ferris was used to the wet climates by now. It rained mercilessly. It took quite a bit of work getting a suitable home, and eventually, a general goods store of sorts built. The work had been hard and painstaking, and the humidity had been as merciless as the rain, but it had done wonders in getting Ferris back into shape. "Theerclesh's General Goods" would be the name, for now. The family had been determined to have the shop named and open for business as soon as possible, and didn't see the need for complicating the name any more than they had to.

Ferris, having participated in most of the work himself, couldn't help but feeling a note of pride as the sign was placed above the door and secured. He hadn't made it easy on his hosts, but they'd put up with everything he'd dished out, and they'd earned a small degree of respect for that. But, it would soon be time for him to move on. His obligation to stay only extended to the completion of the buildings here, and being fit to travel again. He was more than fit, and thankfully hadn't contracted any diseases from his time with the swamps. Feeling his work here was done, Ferris turned his back on the celebrating family to retrieve his few belonging s and be on his way. It was going to be a long trip, and he wanted it to be out of his way as fast as possible.

He felt a drop on his head, and looked skyward, cursing. It was going to rain again soon, quite hard. It was going to be difficult to travel in the rain, and extremely uncomfortable. Especially with all the mud. But that had never stopped him before. He cursed again as he felt a hand on his shoulder. Reekaza. Ferris's skyward gaze had given him enough time to walk over and ensnare Ferris in their family gathering. Most men, Ferris would break their arm or flip them on their backs. But Reekaza was no pushover. He weighed well over a hundred more pounds than Ferris, and was a mountain of scale and muscle. He was also wary of Ferris's antics.

"I insist-" He began, only to be cut off by Ferris.

"No." Ferris tried to shrug him off to no avail. Now Maratan and the rest had formed a formation around Ferris, and the choice had been taken from his hands. They were going to ask him to stay and eat with them in celebration before he set off. He rolled his eyes and cursed again. "Fine! I'll do it. Just get your hand off me!" He pushed Reekaza's hand off his shoulder, and allowed himself to be led inside their recently constructed home. He was promptly sat down at a position of honor at the table, and was forced to endure another day with them. He did his best not to grind his teeth into powder. Then he considered actually attempting just such a feat. It would give him an excuse to leave.

At least, he considered it until Maratan sat the food down before him. He could not lie, the food tasted great. Especially compared with what he was used to, which is to say, rations. Reekaza offered, "We'll arrange for you to be taken up the river Niben, to wherever it is you want to go." Ferris nodded his acknowledgement, and from there, the meal went on like most did with this family. They tirelessly got on Ferris's nerves, and he endured it to the best of his abilities. He said as little as he could, focused on either eating or ignoring them. "Hopefully you've reconsidered your options these last few months." Ferris looked up from his food, already guessing they were going to ask him to stay with them again, and already preparing a negative response. Reekaza sensed it, and quickly added, "We know you don't want to stay with us here, but please, take care of yourself. Or better yet, find someone to take care of. Hopefully someone to take care of you in return. That woman-" He cut off the sentence as Ferris abruptly stiffened and glared. "Just find someone. And try not to die."

Soon (according to Ferris, not soon enough) the meal was over, and he was packed and ready to leave. He got on a small trading ship up the Niben, and didn't look back. He slept under the rocking hull of the small vessel, considering all the what ifs in his life. Until, disgusted with himself for dwelling on the past so much, he amended he was growing too soft. Eventually, sleep found him. And with it, nightmares.

They hadn't charged him much for passage. He was able to earn his own passage by carrying his own weight aboard the ship. He knew a bit about sailing, so they didn't complain too much. He was thankful he didn't have to indebt himself to the Theerclesh family anymore than he already was for it.

Soon enough, he was dropped off on the western side of the Imperial City. He stocked up on supplies, and headed west with no particular goal in mind. Ferris meandered from job to job, town to town, city to city. He didn't encounter much of anything that he couldn't handle along the way, probably due to the fact he wasn't being so reckless as he could be. Frequently he found himself gazing longingly into the distance, seeing something only he could see, and moving a hand over the middle of his back. Now that he was back in Cyrodiil, and had truly found his search fruitless, he wondered what he should return to. With an almost imperceptible wince of pain, as if he'd been stabbed, he pushed the thought out of his mind and continued on his way, wherever that path would take him.

The path wasn't taking a turn for the best. Ferris, it seemed, would always be plagued by nightmares. His sleep was not restfully, and eventually, most if not all of the impressions the argonian family had left on him were gone. The recklessness returned, and with it, a more dangerous lifestyle. Picking more fights, taking more dangerous roads, and taking on more dangerous bounties. It was a path of destruction. Self destruction. Ferris would never again touch a substances such as Moon Sugar or Skooma, but he still drank quite a bit of mead and ale, his Nord heritage not easily forgotten. But try as he might, he could not escape his own mind.

This path of self destruction eventually led him on a shaky path towards the city of Anvil. He was approaching the edge of Cyrodiil, and he was losing his chance to find an end. He was determined to die before he reached the border, and he would find a release in Anvil. He would have to stop and restock his supplies anyways. Some drinks sounded appealing to him, though he had no use for a bed. It wouldn't help him anyways, and he did not desire company.

The city had plenty of undesirables. Several of them eyed Ferris darkly. But the wild and provoking look in his own eyes being the only thing they could see of his masked and hooded face ensured they kept their distance. Ferris was genuinely disappointed with this establishment, as he had been in a few others. Very few came to him, he frequently had to be the aggressor. Well, if that was how it was going to be, he was at least going to have a drink before he got himself thrown out.

With a ragged sigh, more tired than anything else, he set off at a lazy pace towards the inn. He didn't even bother to make a rambunctious entrance, as was usually his way. This close to the edge of Cyrodiil, he suddenly felt very tired, as if every step of his long journey were catching up to him at once. He quickly scanned the room upon entering, seeing very few of note. He almost dismissed them all, until his eyes caught a flicker of silvery white. He tried to ignore it, but his right hand coiled into a fist against his will. The rest of him that was still under his control moved on before he drew attention, and he sat himself down without putting much thought into it and ordered some mead. Nord mead.

His eyes roamed the room again, and he did his best to avoid the white hair that occasionally seemed silver in the light of the inn. He didn't know what would happen in his current state. His eyes found her companion, sitting across the table from her. A nord. One used to the rigors of combat, and obviously competent in his own abilities. Ferris realized he had unknowingly sat himself down within earshot of the two. He tried not to listen for awhile as he drank, but eventually something the nord man said caught his ear.

"You'll only g-get more attention that way. Might... as well just.... behave naturally. Believe me. No one is going to... to get you here. Anvil is home. They know that if... someone is w-with me... they are under my protection." The girl's companion reassured her.

Ferris heard this as people around here know not to mess with me. He saw an opportunity. If this man truly had a reputation here, it would mean one of two things. He was either some sort of crime boss, or simply a fearsome fighter. Ferris leaned more towards the latter, In which case, the other occupants of the room would not intervene or call for the guards immediately, and he'd have quite the one on one. If not... well, he'd never had a strong sense of self preservation. And he was itching to cut loose as he pulled his mask over his face after another drink.

But, he could see the white hair in his peripheral. For the first time in a long time, he was at war with himself. His animosity was battling with old memories of rest.

Animosity won out. He rose to his feet, stretched, and looked around the room again. He seemed to spy someone beyond the table the two nords were occupying who he wanted to see. He eyed this distant target, and began walking towards it, at an angle to his true target. He seemed to be unsteady and belligerent, most likely drunk. If his unsteady gait were not enough, then the smell of alcohol mixed with smells of hard travel would be. Even his eyes held a degree of belligerence to them.

And so, his quarry did not suspect him even as he passed by the nord woman. Once he was behind her, he whipped around with a wicked speed and precision which betrayed his seemingly drunkardness. Ferris grabbed the girl's arm, which was lifting her wine to her lips for another drink, then violently twisted it behind her back, causing the wine to drop and spill everywhere, as well as giving the feeling that he would break it if she struggled. His grip began as extremely tight, then suddenly loosened, and then reasserted itself as firm. The whole scene played out before either the man or the woman could even utter protest.

He took a brief moment to further size up his prey. He definitely had nordic blood in him, but there seemed to be something else in him to. Maybe Imperial. He was at least as tall as Ferris, if not an inch or two taller. Their weights were probably similar as well. He was clearly a fighter. His body looked conditioned for it, his eyes were weary, and he carried a weapon and armour.

All of this, Ferris took in as his eyes glinted with a lucid intelligence and cunning, betraying his drunken disguise for a mere moment before it reassumed itself. His dark eyes were all that could be seen of him behind his hood and mask. The rest of him was covered with his cloak and light armour, and they had definitely seen better days. Ferris held himself with the belligerent confidence of a drunken man, seeming not to have a worry in the world. But what the man across the table couldn't see, nor any person in the place for that matter, was the hand holding the girl's arm was shaking. Old memories weren't dead yet.

"And what-" Ferris belched- "would that protection amount to, eh milkdrinker?" Even his voice contributed to the assumption that he was drunk. Very few people would recognize the glint in his eyes that signaled how much danger they were in, and even fewer would notice his reluctance to break the girl's arm. As it was, she was not in particular discomfort. But the nord across the table, as he predicted, would not risk unnecessary harm to his friend. He was poised an ready to fight, and attempting to get Ferris to release his hold on the girl. Normally, he would be pleased with such strife and pain that situations like this caused. But he found no enjoyment in hurting this young woman.

Ferris was disgusted with himself. He should be enjoying himself. Perhaps he had grown soft. His disgust quickly turned to anger. The nord strongly suggested that Ferris release the girl, to which Ferris promptly replied venomously, "Or what?! You'll k-k-kill me?!" He used his free arm to grip the girl's opposite shoulder from the arm he was holding, and more or less tossed out of the way with a seemingly complete and utter lack of care. In fact he had rather carefully measured the amount of force he put into it, and what direction he tossed her in. She was, at worst, in danger of being bruised. Now that she was out of the way, there was no time to waste.

Valin Oakthorn

Vagabond Extraordinaire
    "By the god's. You really must've pissed him off." Edward said as Cogan reluctantly held his mouth open to let Edward see his tongue. "Well the good news is that it'll heal up once they get your victim in here." Victim. The word danced about in Cogan's head. He was most definitely dreading the kill of someone who very well may not deserve it. "Dat's Justh Greath." was all Cogan could manage. A large wedge in his tongue making speech extremely difficult.

A metal door slammed shut somewhere in the complex. A woman screamed as she was dragged toward the caging area. "There she is. Y'know that orc'll rape his. Brutal." Edward said. Cogan almost ignored him. A young girl no older than Cogan was being dragged toward him. She had light brown hair and lovely blue eyes. She wasn't an extremely attractive woman but she was a cute girl, so innocent. Cogan would have never taken a life so young.

The guards through her into his cell, closing the door quickly. No. No. No. I won't do it. What if I just don't kill her? They can't make me right? Right? Cogan tried to think of a way out of this, but he couldn't. The bloodlust was setting in. He wanted to kill. He felt his body begin to shake as thoughts of her blood pouring into his mouth, and her beating heart slowly dying as he ripped into it with his fangs. "Calm Cogan. Remember. They want you to lose control, in here you need to stay calm every second of every day." These words snapped Cogan back to reality. He didn't have a choice. The only thing he could do was make it painless, and end her peacefully.

He stood up and approached her. He almost towered over her. Cogan wasn't particularly big, but she was particularly small. She shivered and let out slight whimpers as he closed the distance between them. He looked into her eyes. She was terrified, but he kept his calm. She seemed to relax a bit. Cogan wished that his tongue wasn't wedged and that he could talk to her and somehow say he didn't want this. He hoped she understood that, at least.

All he said was a quiet "I'm sorry." before his nails were claws and with surgical precision he ripped out her heart in the blink of an eye, killing her instantly. He ate the heart and try as he might was eventually forced by his own nature into devouring the rest.

This went on for months. The "procedures" as the wizard called them, more like tortures to Cogan and Edward. Then the victims. Each one brought Cogan deeper into darkness. His care for them was a weakness and weaknesses were beaten out of him in this place. Then one day Edward mentioned something almost as a joke. "Hey, y'know that one body changing thing seems pretty powerful. What do ya say about me and you breaking out here and you teach me that and I'll get you some gear." He didn't really mean it. It was just conversation, but it would become real in one word. "Deal."

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
    Staff member
    Ferris had been ready for the nord man to charge as soon as the girl was out of the way. He drunkenly had his sword halfway out of its sheathe, ready to fend off whatever the man threw at him. He was not expecting the man to slowly pull out his sword, lay it on the table between them, and show his empty hands.

"Surely you-you're man enough to fight with-without a sword. Your ob-obviously man enough to hurt an innocent girl." The man goaded.

Ferris immediately bristled, every muscle in his body tensing and readying for action, and his eyes darkening. He immediately dropped the drunken pretense as he straightened with rage, his posture and bearing immediately righting themselves. Ferris roughly dropped his sword back into it's sheathe, and roared, "WHAT?!" even as the man added on another insult. Ferris was furious. He kicked the table into the air, sending it and the sword flying, and charged his target.

The man had the nerve to smirk as Ferris came at him with a powerful right hook. That made Ferris even angrier, and he packed on more force behind the punch. As Ferris came in to deliver the blow, to wipe that smirk off the man's face, the man tackled Ferris as he came in to swing, bringing them both to the ground.

Pressing his advantage, the man went for a punch to Ferris's face with his right as he tried to pin Ferris down. Ferris dodged the punch by shifting his head to the side, then immediately fired his own right at the man's face in the brief lapse. The man had not yet recovered fully from his own punch, and he had to rear back to catch Ferris's fist, and then attempt to pin the arm. Ferris, however, had other ideas. With a sudden burst of strength, he attempted to throw the man hard to the right. The man managed to shift his weight in the opposite direction, having to put quite a bit of strength behind it to avoid being thrown off. It doesn't end there. Ferris immediately shifted his own weight with the man's, using his own strength and momentum against him to roll them both over, Ferris now with the advantage.

As they rolled, the man's grip on Ferris's right arm weakened, and Ferris broke the hold and used the momentum of the roll to bring a hard elbow in to the man's face. The man shifted his head, and the elbow had very little effect. As the roll lost momentum, Ferris readied a left aimed at the man's face. Thinking quickly, the man threw more of his weight into the momentum of the roll, throwing Ferris off balance and keeping the roll going. Slippery bastard.

From there, the two exchanged many punches and kicks as they continued to fight for control, and eventually roll straight into a table, which slowed their momentum down enough for Ferris, again on top, to bring the roll to a stop. As he is again about to punch the man in the face, the man again thought quickly, and headbutts Ferris directly in the face. This made Ferris rear his head backwards from the blow, and his hood fell down, revealing the upper half of his face and hair. The man wasted no time, and grabbed Ferris by the mask that covered Ferris's mouth and nose with his left. Gaining a firm grip on it, he yanked Ferris's head down by the fabric, pulling it down from Ferris's face, and threw a hard right in a path to intercept the incoming face.

The punch connected, throwing Ferris's head back again and pushing him to his left. The man did not have much time to celebrate. Ferris grabbed the man by his right forearm, using it to pull himself back towards the man and propelling himself into a headbutt of his own. It also connected. Hard headed little...

Ferris, now thoroughly dizzy, fell to his left off the man, and attempted to roll to his feet. He almost fell again, and had to catch himself. The other man seemed to be having a similar problem, both of them now looking as if they were drunk. "Yer' no'.. lookin' so... smush now..."

Ferris gave up on re attaining his feet, and instead allowed himself to fall forward, throwing his momentum and moving to drive his shoulder into the other man. The man absorbed the hit with a grunt, then wrapped both of his arms around Ferris, and threw him to his side, right into a table, breaking it and leaving Ferris lying on the broken remains. The throw made the man lose his balance, as he barely had any to begin with, and he threw himself towards Ferris, attempting to pin him again. Ferris delivered a hard kick to the man's ribs, diverting his path and making him fall towards Ferris's side, rather than on top of him. Ferris then drug the rest of his body to the side along with his kick, using the momentum to roll himself over on top of the other man.

After a hard right to the man's face, the man promptly grabbed a leg of the broken table, and attempted to brain Ferris with it. Ferris just barely managed to roll his head away from the blow, reducing the damage as it rolled off his jaw. As the man immediately swings the leg of the table backhanded Ferris's way, Ferris gave a disgusted grunt and threw himself backwards, off of and away from the man. And he has the nerve to question me about being man enough to fight without a weapon?!

Disgusted, Ferris rolls to his feet, and the other man does the same. Both of their noses are bleeding. Ferris spits out blood from his mouth, compliments of the punch and the table leg. He and the other man seem identically damaged. But Ferris's pride has been wounded, and no amount of damage inflicted on this other man would make up for it. But I won't mind testing that theory.

They are now at a standoff. Ferris's face is exposed, revealing his dark, unkempt hair and beard, as well as his scars. Ferris gives the man a glare, taking in the fact that this man had given him much more trouble than what he was used to. Although it would've been tough to call which of them had gotten the better of their exchange, in Ferris's mind, the other man had gotten the better of it simply because Ferris was not used to opponents giving him so much trouble in situations where he was fresh and not outnumbered.

The man simply smirked in return as he tossed aside the table leg, infuriating Ferris even more. He mocked Ferris again, and Ferris's glare turns absolutely feral, the scars on the side of his head making him look absolutely beastly. He was content to let his expression speak more than any insults he could fire back. Oh, words are inadequate for you, bastard.

The man seemed to take the hint, and his smirk disappeared and his eyes widened. Ferris took in the small victory, now smiling manically.

The man then looked around, saw his sword laying on the ground a few feet away, grabbed it, then charged at Ferris full speed. Ferris's smile disappeared, replaced by absolute fury. Fine. If that's how you want to play, I'll oblige! I won't need a weapon for this...

Ferris braced himself, taking a ready stance on the balls of his feet. The man ran at an angle, as if he was going to attempt to get past Ferris. At this moment, Ferris realized the door out was that way. Ferris, sensing the other man's frantic desperation, got in the man's path as he reached the door. The man looked at Ferris as if Ferris were crazy. He wouldn't be wrong.

Not believing that Ferris had the gall to get in his way, the look on the man's face was almost priceless. Ferris took the brief opportunity to grab the man's right arm(his sword arm) by the wrist with his own right arm. Ferris then threw his shoulder and body into a slam, throwing his body into the man's and flipping him to the right. Ferris guided the flip with his right arm, shoulder, and body, and came down with his shoulder planted into the man's chest. Ferris took advantage of the impact with the floor to twist the man's wrist and force him to drop the sword, then quickly pick it up and pin the man down, holding the man's own sword to his neck. The man tried to throw Ferris off for a few moments, but quickly found it was no use as the sword was pressed closer to his neck.

"Thought you could run..." both men were now slightly short of breath, "you little coward. Who's the... man now?" Ferris demanded with a mad look in his eyes, and it was evident Ferris was not letting him leave this fight unscathed. You made it so much worse for yourself by trying to run.

The man looked incredulous. "Are you cr-crazy?! They gra-grabbed Maere! Do you know what they d-do to women?! I gue-guess you wouldn't care!"

And I don't! Ferris's mind immediately replied. But then what was said fully sinks in. Ferris's eyes widened. The white haired and silver eyed ghost. She must've been taken by some of the thugs in this city. Ferris's hand began to shake, and his face contorted into a look of hate. I WILL KILL YOU! His mind roared. NO YOU WILL NOT! Something roared back.

The madness slowly left his eyes, and he removed the sword from the man's neck and let him up. He offered the sword hilt first, and said in a rather hostile tone, "Then what are we waiting for?" as he replaced his hood and mask on his face. He didn't wait for the man's reply, instead turning his back and storming out. He could identify the color of that hair from miles off. It was a simple matter for him to see flashes of it drifting away, clearly resisting her captors to the best of her abilities.

Leave her. Kill him. Save her. Spare him. These thoughts and more swirled in his mind. Damn her. "Damn her... damn them all..." he muttered almost too quietly to hear. Ghosts, it would seem, would haunt him every step. And he supposed they would damn themselves for allowing Ferris an early grave, or a grave at all if they could help it.

Farthlion

It was incredible how much ground a seasoned hunter could cover in just a few months. Or on the contrary, how little. When with her small hunting family they had always been kept on a schedule. The more senior members of the group made sure of that. She had always assumed the schedule was to simply beat the cold winters of the north and to escape the humid summers in the southern regions, but when Cook, the defacto leader of the group, had changed course to traverse the north during the harshest conditions of the year, she began asking questions that didn't have easy answers.

Unfortunately being without her family did have its drawbacks. While Haeda had tracking skills that any seasoned hunter would envy, she was not used to hunting outside of a group. Rabbit was easy to come by, but Haeda was sick of rabbit, having eaten the meat at every meal for the past month. She wanted venison - a rich delicacy that her family of hunters had eaten almost daily. Today was not turing out to be a good day.

Hunting deer alone was no easy chore. While her arrows never missed their mark, they merely pierced the hide of the animal and injured it. An injured deer could go for miles before succumbing to its wound, and Haeda was far too hungry chase down an animal for miles only to discover that it was now a meal for a bear. When in the band of hunters, each of the group members would strategically fire their arrows at the deer at the same time. One arrow could pierce the shoulder blade of the animal, slowing it, another hitting the neck, and the others on the ribcage. The pain was swift for the animal and the task was always successful.

The thought of all of those easy hunts made Haeda's mouth water, so when she encountered an inn, she gave in to all of her ill feelings toward the indoors and headed inside. The inn was cozy, or at least that was what she would have thought if she wasn't so uncomfortable. Lights illuminated the large hall, a great stone fireplace burning at one end where and various tables and their chairs crowded the other. A bar stood upon the far wall where a Dark Elf was washing a metal tankard with a cloth. Numerous patrons were gathered around the fire. Haeda was able to identify a mage, a sell-sword, and an Imperial soldier sharing a drink. Compared to these men sipping their drinks around the fire in a calm manner, Haeda felt like a wild animal.

Slowly the tracker made her way to the counter, eyeing several racks of meat that hung behnd the bartender.

"Good evening miss," the Dark Elf greeted, "What can I do for you today?"

Haeda, feeling like a cage animal within the four walls of the inn, did her best to speak a coherent sentence, "I'd like some venison."

"Great, I'll cook it up for you. Will be 15 gold."

Haeda blanked at the thought of currency. As a hunter, she did not pay in gold or materials. Instead, she traded food and other provisions that could actually aid others in their survival. Everyone in her former family of hunters had scoffed at the idea of exchanging some shiny rocks for food. When a man was dying in the wilds, gold would not help him. When a man was dying in the wilds, he needed food, water, or a knife. "Will you trade? I have rabbit meat."

The Dark Elf paused from cutting the venison for Haeda, "We only take gold here miss."

"Can I sell some to you?"

"I'm sorry, but I have more rabbit meat than I can sell right now. Just yesterday a man came through with thirty haunches and sold them to me for a bargain."

The tracker frowned sighed in frustration before turning to leave, "Thanks, I guess I'll just settle on rabbit tonight." With that, Haeda left the four walls of the inn for the freedom and openness of the outdoors.

A small fire was burning outside the inn, a cooking pot hanging over it. From what she could remember from when she was young, it was common for inns to provide them to anyone who wanted to cook their own meals. Her little family of hunters would sit on the steps of each inn, begging and pleading for food from any passerbys. If they were able to get meat or potatoes, they would sit around the fire while one of the older children made a recipe that their parents had taught them.

Haeda dropped the rabbit meat into the pot over the fire to let it cook. She sat on a stump near the burning embers and waited for the meat to cook.

"Doesn't look like you got what you wanted," a deep voice resonated from behind her. Haeda turned to look at the sell-sword from earlier, a Redguard male in his mid-twenties. Haeda shrugged, unsure what the man wanted.

"It's fine. I just was being picky," the tracker explained, "It's not like I don't have food."

"You reminded me of my wife when you went inside the inn earlier," the man stated plainly, "Was never comfortable inside buildings. Even in Dragonstar, where it's as humid as hell outside."

Haeda gave a small smile and turned the rabbit over with a nearby stick, "You're a long ways from home."

"Work brings one to many places, especially as a mercenary."

"Anything interesting?" Haeda inquired, making small talk.

The Redguard adjusted one of his metal bracers on his wrist as he spoke, "A week ago I was given a job to escort two men from Dragonstar to Solitude. Only catch is they weren't Redguards like me. Royal looking folks who seemed to be checking up on the big cities in Tamriel."

Haeda was about to ask him how the trip went and if they were anyone of significance, but then realized that the trip he spoke of took at least two weeks. Especially if one was traveling on the main paths. There was no way he could have already ferried them to Solitude. "Did they get there safely?" Haeda decided to be subtle, rather than question if he killed them or abandoned them.

The Redguard chuckled, "I know what you're thinking, and I swear I handed them off to a friend near Rorikstead."

"Why did you turn back?" She began plating the rabbit into a small wooden bowl.

"My wife sent me a letter that told me that my son had been born early. In Hammerfell, it's important for sons to see their fathers as soon as possible. Most of the time this has to be delayed - men are all trained as warriors and live as warriors. Sometimes a father won't see his son until they are a year old," he paused, "but I wanted to be the good father who hurries home."

"Congratulations," Haeda grinned, "I hope he grows up to be healthy and strong."

The Redguard nodded before reaching into the satchel at his waist and setting something down at his side, "Thank you for the company. I've been resting for a few hours so I should probably get back on the road."

Haeda looked down at where the sell-sword had formerly sat, noticing he had dropped something rolled up in furs. She grabbed the object and stood up, looking in the direction the Redguard had left in, but there was no one in sight. Carefully, the tracker peeled away the flaps of animal skin to reveal a good sized portion of venison. Perhaps the day hadn't been so bad after all.

Specter of Death

Omnipresent Moderator
    Staff member
    The Mer's trembling started to bring excitement into Lyron's mind. His mind's darker side was growing and taking over faster and faster as time had progressed. The Mer had known who Lyron was, and exactly what he wanted to know. He know that it was Lyron who had killed all of his men the previous day, and that if he hadn't left in time, it could've been his head as well.

"TELL ME WHAT I WANT TO KNOW!" Lyron screamed at him, holding back just enough not to draw attention to the room. The Mer looked at the ground. Lyron reached into his mouth and pulled the cloth out, all while placing a blade to that Altmer's throat.

"I have no Idea who you are speaking of Assassin," The Mer started to plea, almost sobbing in the process. Lyron looked around the room for a momment, frustrated with the Mer's answer.

"I want to tell you what I am going to do to you, if you don't tell me what I wish to know," Lyron spoke, yanking the Mer's head up to look him in the eye, "I will cut off your limbs. One by one. Then I will carve into your torso with my blade, just enough so the pain is unbearable. Then, if you still refuse to speak, I will remove your tongue. So that you are always reminded about how you refused to tell me what I inquired about. But I won't kill you, because I am no assassin. I am much more than that. I am a vengeance that has been festering and rotting for the longest time. And I will not waste my time killing a low-life like you when I still have Them to kill."

Lyron raised an eyebrow at the Mer, who stared at him without a word. "I-I don't know anything, if I did, I would tell you!" The Mer released another plea. Lyron stared at him in pitty, he had more information than he was leading on, but he wouldn't last very long with the torture that Lyron had promised. "It's your body," Lyron spoke calmly, now allowing the darkness fall over his conscious.

His arm raised, stuffing the Mer's mouth full of cloth once more, and he lifted his blade high. With a single swift movement, Lyron swung down at the man's arm. Muffled screams came from underneath the Mer's cloth as the blood started to pour onto the floor. "You have about 15 minutes before you bleed out. But if I am to remove the rest, you will have a lot less than that," Lyron spoke, staring intently at the Mer's pained face, "Now. What do you know?"

The cloth fell to the blood soaked floor beneath the Justicar's head, who was now gasping to catch his breath. "They wanted me to foresee the destruction of the City of Dunlain. So that the Thalmor could have control of it's defenses in the future. T-those men, in the forest, just mercenaries. I-I paid them a lot to complete it all, but they caught onto me. They knew that I would just kill them all with reinforcements as soon as the job was done, s-so they turned on me, and I left."

Pacing through the blood soaked floor, Lyron thought carefully. "Who was their leader? He knew who I was, and he was there when she d-. Who was their leader?!" He dropped down to the Mer once more who nodded with his question. "He probably did know you. These Mercenaries have been known to help Them, I think. They knew more about them than I did. They, said that they had used the group many times before and they were good at getting things done, so I hired them."

His pacing was stopped, and his crouch had turned into a stand. Lyron had gotten what he needed to know. Odds are that They and the Justicar had never met face to face, but rather by letters. And his willingness to give up information suggested he was no more than just an initiate, a pawn in their game. As he thought, the Justicar looked up to him. "I'm sorry for this, but I will not die today," the Mer spoke, "Guards! An Assassin, come quick, an Assassin has attempted to take my life!"

Jolting from his thoughts, Lyron dove through the open window behind the Justicar, dodging billows of fire and ice as he did so. Calls from the walls of the Embassy behind him, suggested a chase. One that Lyron didn't need.

-~~8~~-

He calmed his breathing as he hid, the rock above him offering perfect cover from any above. They had been chasing him for a day. A day of restless running through the rocky and mountainous terrain between High Rock and Skyrim. He had just passed through Dragon's Bridge before realizing it wasn't just the Cloudrest Embassy looking for him now, the Skyrim Embassy had joined them in the search.

His breath grew calmer as Lyron could here the approaching steps of the searching party of Thalmor. They were just above him, and they had no clue that he was right there. He waited for a long time, listening to their chatter as they attempted to pick up any tracks that could lead to his position, but he was too good.

About an hour or so after they had approached his location, the Party split up, and went in different directions, hoping to find Lyron. He carefully crawled out from underneath the rock, being quiet and calm as he did so, not to attract any attention. I need to make it into Whiterun Hold, he thought. He had known that area of the province better than the rest of Skyrim, except for that of Falkreath, which was temporarily out of reach.

Standing on the dew covered grass and dirt, Lyron scanned the area around him. Just over the hill where he stood, he could make out the feint sillouhette of the city of Whiterun itself. He was so close to it, that he could feel the rest on his body already. He started in the direction, when he could here the chatter of the Thalmor once again. They had already returned from their splitting up, and it was only a matter of time before they spotted his new tracks.

He took off, flying down the hills, over rocks, and through the trees, hoping to make a gap between him and his followers.

Farthlion

A warm breakfast of cooked venison stew gave Haeda a bright start to her day. She was out before dawn, her replenished appetite motivating the tracker to gain as much ground as possible. She’d head to Greenspring Hollow. It was one of the few seasonal camps the group had kept up year round. From what Haeda remembered about the group’s schedule, they would be on the east side of Skyrim and far away. The last thing she wanted was to re-encounter her old family.

By mid-afternoon she had arrived at the Hollow. The camp was long since abandoned, moss covering several of the bear-hide tents. Nonetheless, it was an excellent camp and an optimal hunting spot. Haeda kicked away some dirt near one of the tents, a hollow noise emitting from the ground. The tracker knelt down and uncovered the wooden panel that led to a hole in the ground. She took out the three rabbit haunches she had gathered over the last few days, each packaged in a thin layer of animal skin and tied up with string. After storing each of the haunches, Haeda grabbed her bow and set out to find more.

The open fields near Whiterun were a perfect place to find any type of game. Unlike the snowy north and the far corners of Skyrim’s map, there were few large predators to disturb hunters. The only occasional issue was a wolf or two, which could be discourage with an arrow or two.

Haeda was easily able to track down a rabbit. It sat, nibbling on grass that was growing on a hill’s slope. The tracker silently drew her bow, pulling back and taking a deep breath as she aimed for the rabbit’s torso. Suddenly, without warning, the rabbit took off. Haeda groan and released the arrow knocked on her bow in frustration. She groaned as she watched its path, zipping right past the face of a man who seemingly appeared from nowhere.

The man stopped in his movements, drawing his bow while simultaneously turning to scan the area, most likely for the source of the arrow. Haeda’s eyes widened and she was about to duck away in fear of being mistaken for an attacker, but the man was too quick. An arrow was knocked and aimed at her before she could blink.

“What kind of shot was that?” he questioned in a deep voice.

Haeda swallowed, not sure how to answer. Should she swear that she wasn’t attempting to harm him? Yell at him for chasing away a perfectly good meal? Run as far as she could? Haeda had no time to think when a shout rang out. The man’s head snapped to look behind him swiftly shifting his body to fire at the source.

The tracker watched as a group of soldiers dressed in typical Thalmor garb ran in their direction. The man’s arrow pierced one of the Mer, causing him to double back in pain before continuing his pursuit.

“What’s going on? Who are they?”

The man kept his eyes on the Thalmor agents, “You need to get out of here, or you’ll be seen as helping me.”

“I think it’s a little too late for that,” the tracker replied, noting that one of the Altmer was pointing her out to the others in his group. There was no doubt that she was now an added problem for whatever qualms they had with this stranger.

“Up into the tree,” the stranger commanded. Haeda obeyed, grabbing the lowest branch of a tree that stood nearby. The man accelerated her climb by pushing her up from the bottom of her feet and climbed into another branch nearby. Haeda caught her breath and knocked and readied her bow. “Wait until they come near,” her ally commanded. The tracker waited for what seemed like an eternity. Hunting was one thing that she excelled at, but fighting was an activity that was far out of her comfort zone.

Finally, the stranger gave her the cue. They both fired at the Thalmor, the man much quicker and meticulous as he defended himself from the tree. Arrows and shards of ice were fired at the pair, causing Haeda to move to a higher branch after a spike of ice embedded itself into her branch.

She only fired two or three shots before her ally had finished off all but one of their attackers. Obviously he was much more suited for combat; his arrows were sent through the air with much more force than Haeda’s, his with the intent to pierce human skin. The stranger not only did this quickly, but he did it with precision that she had never encountered before.

By now, the last Mer reached the base of the tree and was charging up a spell. Haeda could only watch as her ally jumped off the tree and slammed into the Mer. She hadn’t noticed the blade in his hand until he was relentlessly stabbing his enemy. In a final act of violence, he slice the Mer’s throat open.

Haeda dropped from the tree and cautiously surveyed the area. The bodies of their attackers were strewn across the slope of the hill. Some still had their weapons in hand; the last command their brains made to their body being to clench their fists around the pommels of their swords. The final Thalmor who was brutally slain by the man was now a disturbing mess lying at her feet. “Who are you?” the tracker questioned in a combination of shock and confusion.

She could see his shoulders move tensely as he inhaled in exhaled. She had heard of getting a thrill out of the hunt before. Hell, her adrenaline always pumped and her heart always raced when she was in close pursuit of her prize. She’d do anything to win her little game when she knew she was closing in. That type of thrill was the only way the tracker could describe what Lyron seemed to be cooling down from – but it was much different. He wasn’t hunting anyone, and he had just killed someone.

The man silently moved to a nearby body, placing a boot on the Thalmor in order to gain leverage as he pulled out an arrow. He continued this practice with each of the others, causing Haeda to believe that the stranger was now ignoring her. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, the tracker opened her mouth to repeat herself.

“You helped me, and for that you have my thanks. My name is Lyron,” he spoke finally, continuing to gather his arrows. Haeda closed her mouth before nodding in acknowledgement of the man’s words. She realized that he probably didn’t give his name to many people, let alone strangers. His choice of armor alone seemed to scream that he preferred to keep to himself.

“Lyron,” Haeda repeated, “My name is Haeda.” She moved to take out one of the two arrows she had fired into a Thalmor. Out of all that bloodshed, it was hard to believe she did so little damage - all of her arrows going into the same Altmer. The tracker wiped the sweat from her brow, “I have a safe camp not far from here if you need a discreet place to stay.”

Specter of Death

Omnipresent Moderator
    Staff member
    The woman led Lyron to the camp that she had spoke of. It wasn't far away, close enough that Lyron could relax for the first time in a couple of days. It wasn't much, a couple of moss and vegetation covered tents, with a small fire pit surrounded by logs. More than enough for two people.

Lyron sat patiently, and courteously as the woman finished cooking the stew she had started with some rabbit haunches she pulled from a ground storage. She carefully poured him a bowl, and he accepted it greedily, and savagely devoured it. She did the same. It was like the both of them hadn't eaten in days, though it wasn't necessarily true.

His body relaxed, as Lyron laid back on the log he was on. The woman only sat, staring at the fire. "Why were they chasing you? If you don't mind my asking," she questioned, curiously. Lyron sat his body back up, and looked at the woman. He owed her an explanation, if anything else.

"I broke into a Thalmor Embassy in High Rock. They haven't stopped chasing me since I crossed the border. Some Thalmor members here joined the chase this morning, and what you saw back there was the bulk of their force." Lyron looked at the ground. He thought about what he had done to the Justicar, how he left him standing, breathing, after it all.

The silence lasted a couple of minutes, and Lyron stretched his arms with a yawn. He looked back at the woman, who was still slowly eating her stew. "That arrow you shot," Lyron broke the silence, calmly speaking, "That was directed at a rabbit right? I saw one run off before I approached you, but I wasn't sure."

Nodding, the woman finished eating, and looked up towards Lyron. "Yes. Remind me to give you hell about scaring it away." She spoke, joking. A small grin grew across his face, after she spoke. She was comfortable with him even after that whole situation.

He pulled the hood from his head, and looked up to the sky. Clear as ever, with the afternoon sun heating the area. He thought back to the fight. She isn't accustom to fighting, Lyron thought. She hadn't let nearly enough arrows out to do much damage, and her draw was soft. However, her aim was nearly perfect. Of the arrows that she had shot, all of them hit where she seemed to aim.

He watched as the woman gathered the bowls they used to eat, and placed them near the fire. "With a little work on your bow, you could take bigger game in your hunting," Lyron spoke, pulling the quiver from his back, as well as his bow and water skin. The woman carefully eyeing his every move, still holding a slight uneasiness.

"What do you mean, 'a little work'?" she asked him, as she too removed her gear. Lyron poured some water into his hands, and slowly cleaned the surface of his bow, and bowstring. He looked up towards the woman, who stared at her own bow. Lyron held out an arm at her, gesturing to examine her weapon.

It was a beautiful weapon, but it needed some fixing and upkeep. "You need a new string. Something stronger, and tighter," he said, pulling at the string, "It will give you more power in your shots." He pulled the string back with ease, and aimed it at a tree across the way.

He slowly released the string back into it's original positioning. He handed the bow back to the woman, who then examined the string, just as he did.

"You seem to know a lot about bows," she spoke carefully, as she then pulled the string in the same fashion of Lyron, "Where did you learn? Legion?" She set the bow down at her feet, and started to fiddle around with her quiver and arrows.

Lyron grinned. He hadn't thought about his training in ages, he had few fond memories of his mother and father left. His training making up the majority of them. "My Mother and Father were Archers in Silvenar," he started, still cleaning his bow, examining every scratch for cleaning. "They taught me a lot, but I could only learn so much from them. So I spent a lot of my time teaching myself. Valenwood forests are good for that."

He didn't look up from his bow, as the woman looked at him. Occasionally, she would almost mimic Lyron's actions with her own bow, seeing if she had missed anything in her own cleaning.

"How long did it take?" She piped up once again, almost allowing time to answer, before adding to her question. "You can't be more than 30. I've seen masters older than 60 who still hold no comparison."

Lyron paused for a moment at the question. Did he really look 30? He couldn't remember how long it had been since he celebrated a birthday. Long enough to forget his age, at least.

"My training is never ending, and odds are that it never will. I learn something about my skills everyday. Whether it's my skills or flaws, I can always discover more." He looked at the woman once again, showing a slight smile. "That's the beauty of the bow. No matter how long you use it, it will always evolve with you."

He looked back at his weapon, contemplating how to answer for his age. It could be easier just to say that he was 30, but something was holding him back. "And I'm much older than 60." He let a chuckle exit his throat, hoping she wouldn't question him, and she didn't.

Lyron finished cleaning his bow, and his blades, and placed them all back in their positions throughout his armor. The woman sat still, her eyes at the sky, calm and relaxed.

"What's your story?" she spoke gently. Lyron smiled, it had been a while since somebody had asked about him. Her friendly tone comforted him as well, coaxing him into an answer.

"I grew up in Valenwood, with my parents. As I mentioned before. Learned to hunt from an early age, wasn't until my parents were murd-," Lyron paused for a second, looking up from the fire to see her eyes watching him, listening, "My parents were killed, and I left. I went through some dark things after that. And since then I have been working towards finding those who have wronged me." He looked back to the fire, suppressing the memories that were working their way back to the surface.

Lyron looked back up towards the woman, who stared back at him. "My parents were also killed when I was young. Some of my friends - they also lost their families - told me it was Imperials, but I myself don't remember much."

The realization that had hit him was almost startling, was this another lead? Did he get another chance? "Imperials. Mine as well. -left me with nothing," Lyron spoke, looking at the woman, as she continued to stare at the ground. "I've been trying to locate these Imperials that killed my family for a long time now. Maybe we were meant to meet each other."

The woman laid back on her log, and sighed. Lyron followed her lead, feeling the urge to sleep creeping up on him, as the orange of the evening sky grew more and more prominent.

They laid in silence for a few moments. Lyron enjoyed the peace, the crackling of the fire, and the company of somebody. He had been alone for the longest time, and he had forgotten what it felt like to have somebody around.

"Did you go into the Embassy, because you found something?" Her voice broke the silence, "About the men who killed your family, I mean. The Imperials, as you called them."

Lyron shut his eyes for a moment, thinking of how he should respond. "Yes - or that's what I thought at least. All of the leads that I have gotten have been false. Dead ends. This one included. Got some information on the things they may have been working on, but nothing more."

She rolled over on the log. "So, do you know who they are then?" she asked again, gaining a bit of curiosity.

Lyron grinned, and continued to stare at the sky. "Hardly. All I know is that they were responsible." Lyron looked back at the woman, who had her head in her arms against the log.

More silence came, Lyron enjoyed every ounce of it, but didn't mind talking to the woman either. Her questions about Them were refreshing, allowed him to escape the pressure of finding them, even for a little bit.

"The last Mer," the woman started again, "the one you stabbed. Did he do something to you? To deserve it?"

His thoughts interrupted, Lyron stopped his mind. He had never thought about why he gets so carried away sometimes. "I'm sorry if I scared you." He started to think about how he could have come across, Insane, Angry. He couldn't understand why his mind would wander away from him in moments of violence. Why that other being would take him over.

"It didn't," she responded briefly, rolling back over, to look back at the sky above, now pink and red from the setting sun.

Lyron started to think some more about what had happened, and about how the woman's parents could have been murdered like his own. It was the first time he had felt common ground with somebody, for a very long time.

"I think I need to repay you. For all of this," Lyron said, almost in a whisper. "Tomorrow we will go into Whiterun. I know a man who can help you with a new string. On me."

He couldn't tell if the woman had agreed with him or not, and he didn't bother to ask. Instead, he let his eyelids fall over his eyes, drowning his world in black, and in sleep.

CapObvious

A Rotten Scroungeral
    Daxos began to enjoy toying with the tipsy bastard. He seemed very easy to anger. Daxos liked that. Easy to anger usually meant easy to fight, at least in Daxos' case.

The angrier his opponent became, the less he payed attention to what's around him. That was a proven fact in the arena.

But would it hold true in this fight?

As the fight went on, the patrons began to stare in awe, as Daxos had usually swept his opponent by now.

But the bastard just kept matching him, hit for hit. Taking each hit like a champ, just as he had.

Evenly matched wasn't what Daxos was used to.

He even had to use a table leg to beat the man off of him, so he could get a breather.

Daxos then threw the leg down, and smiled cockily, ready to continue. Or, preferably, to end it.

However, just as their eyes met, Daxos began to notice a silver flash in his peripheral.

Maere.

He turned to see, in his horror, a large man cupping her by the stomach and mouth as he dragged her out the door roughly. Daxos didn't think twice, and immediately bolted for her.

However, he didn't expect the tipsy brawler to stand in his way. Daxos looked at him shocked, not sure what his aim was. However, before he could make sense of it, the drunk grabbed him and tossed him to the ground, holding him tightly. Daxos struggled against his grip, desperately trying to get to Maere.

"Thought you could run..." The exhaustion between them was apparent, both of them heaving for air. "you little coward. Who's the... man now?" The man mocked, his eyes dripping with near insanity.

Daxos looked to him, shocked at how dense this bastard was. Running? Him? He would sooner fall on his own blade. But this was far more important than some damned bar brawl.

This was a promise he made to a friend.

"Are you cr-crazy?! They gra-grabbed Maere! Do you know what they d-do to women?! I gue-guess you wouldn't care!" He managed to mutter, still writhing.

The crazed man seemed to calm, starting to collect his wits.

About bloody time.

They both got to their feet, dusting themselves off. The crowd was at a standstill, unsure of what had happened. They had been cheering loudly for the brawl, but now that it was over...

The man then, after what seemed to be deep thought, reapplied his hood and mask and stormed off, only saying.

"Then what are we waiting for?"

Daxos didn't know who this man was, but he would be damned before he let him help.

It was his bloody fault they were in this mess.

Daxos stormed after him, then shouted causing the man to stop.

"Like hell y-you are! You're part in this dis-disaster is over. Get-Get out of here, before I make it a real fight."

As he spoke, his right hand began to flare up, flames slowly engulfing it. IF this man thought he fought dirty with that damned table leg...

He hadn't seen the darkest side of Daxos yet.